Friday, October 17, 2008

My nephew and I

Interestingly, it appears that my nephew and I are in the same boat.

It’s that time of the year again in uni when one’s bogged down with assignments and exams. I’m not looking forward to sitting for 2 stats papers with a full on block subject scheduled exactly in between. Bad timing....

Apparently, it’s also that time of the year again in kindergarten when exams are drawing near. I’m not sure when exactly, but considering the extra studying my nephew’s doing at the moment - soon. Not too sure how many exams but the usual suspects come into mind – Malay, English, Chinese and Math.

My nephew’s only 6 years old.

Already he has learnt to spell many words, do 2-digit math and all sorts of other stuff I first learnt in lower primary school. I vaguely remember my kindergarten days but exams were never a part of it, I think. No excessive homework, tuitions or parents comparing their children’s results with one another just to see whose kids are 'smarter'. There’re also stories of kids being punished for not getting full marks in their exams. Apparently, 95% is just not good enough anymore.

It’s becoming increasingly and scaringly kiasu nowadays, to the extent of getting part of their childhood robbed from this incessant level of stress.

I understand the importance of literacy and numeracy skills, but it’s becoming too academic oriented and too much of rote learning. Sometimes I wonder how much a kid understands what he has learnt through memorisation. I also wonder if the emphasis is on the actual promotion of learning through stimulating interest/curiosity or on a ‘forced’ kind of learning just for the sake of getting good results. Results are not the end of it all and certainly not a good indicator of a kid's learning, especially at this age.

Anyhow, looks like both aunty and nephew will both be busy studying for exams..... poor sayang.


-daisyboo_

2 comments:

~MoMo*Chin~ said...

aiyor... ganbateh ne.. to both the aunty n nephew.

feel sorry for the kids nowadays.. so stressed up.

i don't think i knew wat was stress until probably secondary?? haha

Evelin said...

you are so lucky, momo*chin.... my parents started stressing me about school way before that. SO I can relate to Daisyboo's nephew...hehe...

Good luck and study smart, both of you. You can do it!

Gambate ne!! :)

 
Template by suckmylolly.com