Thursday, November 20, 2008

A lesson to be learnt !!!

One of my closest friend has now became my foe……at work…..How irony it that !

It all started out when this kind hearted friend of mine helped passed my resume to her boss….and I’m hired within a month. To make matter worst, I’m given a position higher than my friend who has been working there for a few years. I supposed my 6 years of experience in another industry wasn’t sufficient for me to earn the new title in my career ??!! Perhaps, the HR in the company and the boss DIDN'T know how to value their existing employee before hiring new hires. Whose fault is it now ??


Overjoyed that I found a job, I am also dismayed that how this opportunity has tarnished my friendship with my gal friend. Nothing that I say can ever make it up to her. Seeing her at work is so awkward...we hardly talk, we don't smile...we are like total strangers. Should I resign?? So to resign or to continue working , is the ultimate question !! But I need the job….who else is going to hire me who’s now 2 months pregnant ?

I concluded ….NEVER EVER work in the same company as your close friends, OR STAY ( renting an apartment ) with your close friends…..all the good will , will just back-fire.

I’ve learnt a hard lesson ( so did my friend )….always knew about that philosophy, but didn’t adhere to it….now ‘I kena’ !!!

To my friend : Thank you for recommending me the job when I needed it most.

I pray that Someday…things will smoothen out….and

All the best to me.....to keep surviving in this new work place till at least the baby is born ….( hopefully…. )


Yours truly,

Prettilly Aunty

2 comments:

CNLEE said...

Very sorry to hear of your predicament. But friendship cannot be taken or given up lightly. There has to be a reason why she was not happy with u working there. Seems to me that it boils down to you holding a position higher than her. That would be a sticky problem. However, you will have to find a way somehow to open up communication to gauge the extent of her discontent or anger towards you. All the best to you in your new job and your new found phase in life.

Evelin said...

Your 6 years (I still think it's 5..count properly)experience means something. Of course it does... in the relevant industry!

I know it's not your fault but it's hard to swallow. You're on the other end, the end who's not being sidelined, you won't understand how I feel.

Maybe you can try not to sleep in the office, or shut down your laptop too early, or read newspaper, or write blogs during office hours when the rest of us are SO BUSY working our ass off. Maybe if you don't do all that and help out, I will feel better.

You know, it is awkward for me too. Especially when the person who hired you dared say he's a fair person. HAR HAR HAR.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com